Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Domestication of Robyn

Ok so it has taken 10 years but I think I am finally getting the hang of this running the house thing. Doug has helped-- alot. Somehow he knew more about it than I did. Nothing is perfect yet, but it is getting there. Here is an example:

We planted a garden. In years past we either ate what we grew before it went bad or it went bad. In years past I had tried to freeze things like green beans, but they ended up sitting in my freezer for two years cause they were all frozen to each other and I couldn't defrost only some. So freezing seemed to be a fruitless idea. Well, I have recently been taught a few freezing tricks from a good friend at church. Her garden in much larger than mine and she freezes, cans and preserves most of what she grows. Below is a picture of one of her freezing methods.


Yes, those ice cubes are green. They are actually full of chopped green peppers. I chopped up 13 yesterday. I saved a few to eat raw as a snack, but the rest are here, in my freezer. Now when I need green pepper for a recipe I just take out a few cubes and I am good to go. I actually went and bought ice cube trays for this project, we have an automatic ice maker in our freezer -- no trays needed.

Wonder what domesticated Robyn will do next?? Stay tuned!! Oh and I am currently accepting ideas and tips on anything household related.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We used to keep all of our frozen stuff at Krogers and then just go and get it when we needed it. :)