Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Dark is Rising

This is the title of a new movie that will be out soon. I first saw the preview when I went to see Harry Potter 5. The title sounded very familiar. I caught at the end of the preview that it was based on a book. I knew what book. I had read it years ago in college. I took a Children's Lit class and this was one of the books that we had to read. It is actually a series of books by author Susan Cooper. I really enjoyed the books when I read them the first time. So much so that I saved them to read to my children someday. I am glad that I did. They are about King Arthur and Merlin. They take place in present day England, Cornwall actually. The movie looks like it will be based on the second book in the series. "Over Sea, Under Stone" is the first book and acts as a prequel of sorts. I have only just begun book two and since It has been quite a while since I read them originally I am not sure how the rest of the story plays out. I do know though that when the movie comes out I am going to see it. It will be interesting to see how they put this story on the big screen. I enjoy them most when they stick to the original story as much as possible. Harry Potter did a good job with this, The Bourne Series did not. The Potter Series brought to life what we read in the book. It only left out side plots it didn't alter the story dramatically. The Bourne Series was altered, big time. I had a hard time watching the movies because I really enjoyed the books and was upset at how different the movie was. Anyway, If you get a chance, read the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. I guarantee the books will be better than the movie. They almost always are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the Bourne movies vs books. I had not read the Bourne Ultimatum so I really enjoyed the movie.