Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Domestication of Robyn Continued ... Again.


So you have been wondering what that contraption was that I showed you a few days ago.

Well it is affectionately know as "The Smasher". It has various uses, but I used it to smash my tomatoes so I could make sauce. It can also do apples for applesauce.



I lost count as to how many tomatoes I used but I ended up with about 8 quarts of smashed tomatoes.



"The Smasher" rings the tomatoes and the seeds and skin come out one end and the pulp and juice another. I am planning on using this to make and freeze some spaghetti sauce. I still have some tomatoes left, but those we will have to eat the traditional way.
Notice that is not me in the picture smashing the tomatoes. Doug helped with his muscle. He was better at getting the tomatoes through than I was. Maybe I should call this the Domestication of Doug!



I just made sure the things stayed on the table and that the junk didn't get in with the good stuff. We made a mess but had fun too. This is the bowl of seeds and skin. We should have a compost pile or put this back in our garden. I hear I might get some volunteer plants next year if I put them back in the garden. I don't think I am that domesticated, yet.




I will let you know how the end product turns out. Thanks Kathy, for the smasher and the recipe!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like one bloody mess! Did you kill some one and your tring to cover it up?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Robyn. Good for you. I just chopped and froze them fresh...lots of chili for us, I guess. You are far more domesticated than I am!