Monday, May 19, 2008

Spontaneity

Spontaneity does not exist when you have children. Case in point. I wanted to thank Doug for driving to Shelby on Saturday for Jason's wedding. It was a long day for everyone and since he doesn't wear jewelry or particularly like flowers for his desk at work, I wanted to do something manly for him. My idea? Get a sitter, take him to a bar, and let him watch game 6 of the Red Wing playoff game (we don't have cable or satellite and it is never on network TV). The usual obstacle to this plan would be the sitter. I got lucky this time though. Tara just graduated from Ferris and is at home looking for a job. She would love to watch the kids and she was free. Sitter, check. The next obstacle was Doug's schedule. Usually Mondays are busy with either HOPE or Cub Scouts. Luckily the game didn't start till 8 and the Blue and Gold Banquet was early at 6pm. We should be back by 7:30 or 8, just enough time for Tara to help settle the kids into bed. Yes we might miss part of the first period, but the game really only gets exciting in the third, so we were good. Cleared schedule, check. The final obstacle was the kids. This is the one that tripped us up. Jacob got pink eye. Nathan is close and so is Daniel and of course Doug's eyes are itching too. I didn't want to risk our lovely job hunting sitter getting pink eye., that wouldn't help her chances any. Healthy kids and hubby, no check. No spontaneity. We took Jacob to the Dr today. He confirmed the pink eye, gave us a scrip for drops, with a refill, and told us to just go ahead and give drops to whoever got it next, no need to bring them in. In fact when I called the office I told them I had two with pink eye and asked if I could bring one in. They didn't even bat an eye and said sure, how is 10am? So instead of watching the game and drinking a beer or similar beverage, I am sitting on the computer, listening to the game on the computer and blogging while trying to get the kids to go to sleep!!! Not exactly the night I had in mind!!!! Is it wrong to hope they lose tonight so I can try for another night of spontaneity on Wednesday??? (score as I post: Wings 3 Stars 0 )

In other news: I totally forgot to post this yesterday. Jacob is going to be a published author. His poem, BLUE, which I posted a few days ago, was chosen to be included in an anthology of poems. We ordered the book so we can show it off in the Winter when it arrives. Now you all can say you knew Jacob when...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the part about both being sick and only taking one in.

Anonymous said...

Take Doug out next week when we are playing for THE CUP.

Sarah said...

IT IS NEVER OK TO HOPE FOR A GAME 7 WHEN IT INVOLVES THE RED WINGS! Ok for game 5 and I'll even stretch to game 6. Never a game 7. Got it? This is serious business.

And, not to be a pessimist, but Eden having pink eye in February is what led to the 6 weeks of illness in our house with everybody on antiobiotics and her with the HIB flu....don't let your infected ones even LOOK at each other!!

On a lighter side, with that many kids, who really needs to go out for entertainment or excitement?

Adams Clan said...

Well we have already done the 6 weeks of sick thing, so I pray we are safe. I am putting drops in everyone's eyes too so that should help. And since the score was already 3-0 I really didn't think they would lose, and Dad is right, I'll just take him for one of the Cup games!!!

DakotaPam said...

Ha! Robyn, when you get to have a spontaneous moment let me know, and I'll be waiting nine months later too...

Anonymous said...

Dakotapam , dont give her any Ideas please......