Saturday, March 15, 2008

Influenza

I have learned a few things this winter. Some I will remember for a life time and some I wish I never needed to have learned in the first place. I have learned that your house can be spotless and you will still get sick. I have learned that the bigger your family the longer it takes for sickness of any kind to make its way through your family. I have learned that children who are getting their very first flu vaccine ever need to have a booster a month after the first one. Finally, I have learned that sometimes even the flu vaccine doesn't work!!!

If you haven't guessed by now, we have the influenza at our house. It started with Sarah on Wednesday. Just one week after she got the stomach bug, vomiting and diarrhea, she started coughing and pulling at her ears. Great, I thought, another ear infection or a spring cold. Nope, none of the above. It was Influenza. The doctor said her test couldn't have been any more positive. Happy Joy. Nothing to give her, nothing. Just rest and fluids. Oh and she is contagious for at least a week. Happy Joy. Friday the twins had fevers of about 100 and coughs. Happy Joy. They stayed home from school, which the teacher should thank me for since I probably would have sent them if Sarah didn't have Influenza. I have yet to take them to the doctor, since there is really nothing he can do for them, except tell me they are contagious for a week too. They seriously can't afford to miss too much more school. Although they do catch up rather quickly. Now if Grace goes, third grade is a lot harder in the catch up department. I can only pray she makes it through this week. They have no school Good Friday or Easter Monday then only two and a half more before Spring Break. Think we can hold out until then? Me either! Which means no church, no scouts, no HONK, no Tuesday Bible Study, no Winter Wonderland, and a lot of time at home with sick kids. Happy Joy. Think we will be in church for Easter? Me either! I can hardly remember the last time my parents or Doug's were here to visit. My mom and dad have tried two weeks running and I have had to tell them to stay home! Peyton's birthday was a month ago and we still haven't given her a present or even seen her. Sarah has been waiting for that birthday party for ages.

One last thing I have learned; a four year old tends to get into a lot of trouble when his big brothers are home sick and don't want to play!! Gotta go, Daniel is supposed to be sleeping, but he isn't !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there kiddo and get that web cam hooked up so we can visit. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I feel for what you are going thru right now! My boys missed a performance at church this morning due to fevers, coughs, and runny noses. It seems we can't keep any of them healthy. Ane like you, we have family coming up for Easter and I'm just hoping we can all be healthy by then.

Hang in there and just know that you aren't alone!

Dakotapam said...

Oh Robyn, I soooo feel for you, two winters ago we had a sicky season like you. I remember calling our doctor with an option of a cough suppressant for an 8 month old baby, or a psych consult for me. I had codeine in my hands within the hour. I hope you all are well in time for Easter!